Monday, January 25, 2010

Reverence Book

K is impossible at church. It is getting harder and harder to keep him entertained through the meetings. It's mostly due to the fact he is cranky and wants to lie down for a nap, but that doesn't quite work at church. I decided to make a reverence or quiet book to help. It isn't perfect, but there are some fun activities that might get him through. Obviously some he won't be able to do until a bit older, but might as well give him a head start.

I used craft pellum for the pages and then drew with Sharpies for the background. The accents are mostly felt which is inexpensive and forgiving. I bought dollar store trinkets to use as well to keep the cost down.

A page for a doodle pad and pens




This will also be the "treat" pocket where he can find some snacks

The music notes are attached to yarn so you can move them back and forth along the string
You can turn the "pages" of the gold plates with the rings attached


Magnetic fishing pole and fish

Nephi can move along the rod and the fruit is removable

A mirror
coat puzzle

The coins are velcro-ed on so you can put them in the bank or envelope


This one isn't quite 100% finished, as you can see the pins...but it is the order of the creation with what happened on each day. The numbers are removable and you have to match them to the the outlined number on the page.



Plant the fruit and veggies in the pockets.







Practice braiding

I haven't quite figured out how to bind the book. I think I might just cover a binder with fabric and then hole punch the pages and insert them. That way if I want to add to the book or need to mend the pages from wear and tear it will be less of a hassle.

7 comments:

  1. wow sis! Great job. Can't wait to see you in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is really cute, and I do think the binder is an awesome idea! Your much more creative than me, I just gave my kids food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!! That is awesome...that's way cool that all of the pages have to do with church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh my baby is a crafting master mind. I need a quiet book. Really, there are some deep doctrines to be gleaned from every page. I for one do not have the days of creation firm in my mind; at least make me the creation numbers pages and I'll do my best to memorize them. xoxoxo your number 1 fan he he yo mommaoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I am totally copying you. Hope you don't mind. I've been wanting a quiet book for forever but they are so expensive. I'm excited to make one once I finish Mr. Potato head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing!!! I may have to copy this in a few years. So creative!

    ReplyDelete